Sunday, June 15, 2014

The Unthinkable has Happened



I have been through all sorts of agonizing mental gymnastics trying to decide what would be the best situation for both my dad and the rest of my family.  We came to the conclusion that would mean moving him to Oregon, but I couldn't bring myself to just tell my dad that is what is going to happen, knowing how much it would upset him.  It seemed better to let him get used to living with us, get a handle on his health issues and see where things would lead.

He asks quite frequently where my husband is.  Sometimes he is traveling for work.  Sometimes he is in OR.  This situation seems to upset him, and he will make comments like, "You should be with your husband."  Sometimes this has led him to say things like, "Just put me in a home."  And I will answer, "Dad, I wouldn't do that when you could live with us.  Wouldn't you rather be with us in OR than in a home here?"  And he actually says yes!  But then, something even more astounding happened.  The other day he said, "Maybe we should all go to Oregon."  Cue me with my mouth dropped.  I know he won't remember saying it later in the day, and I know he would fight it tooth and nail when it happens, but he said it.  He said it, at least once.  So there it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment